Introduction.. History 1
The Present Day
The latest Statutes ruling the academy, which had been edicted in 1874, have just been revised and approved in 1999 :
- there are 45 permanent members and an unlimited number of associates and correspondents : women have been admitted since the first half of the XIXth century.
Except during the Battle of Caen, the 1939-1945 war did not interrupt the meetings of the academy, which took place at various members' homes. This period saw the unfortunate but probably unavoidable loss of several valuable records and documents, but the academy quickly regained its vitality as soon as normal conditions were re-established. Every member, through his studies and his participation, now strives to perpetuate the high standards of the "Great Academicians".
Once again the Academy has returned to its original residence : the Mansion of Escoville and proudly counts among its ranks several members of the Institute, a great number of academics as well as people of various professions united by a common interest for intellectual exchanges between the most varied disciplines.
Since 1996, the academy has revived its tradition of awarding an annual prize, thanks to a generous sponsorship.
Major events in the history of the Academy of Caen
State-approved by imperial decree on the 10th of August 1853.
1652 Literary meetings are held by Moisant de Brieux at the Mansion of the Grand Cheval. These meetings, which will form the basis of the Academy, last until circa 1701, under the direction of Regnault de Segrais.
1662 First meetings of the Academy of Physics of Caen, under the patronage of André Graindorge and Daniel Huet.
1667 Official Statutes are granted to the Academy of Physics, which will nonetheless disband in 1676.
1705 Letters of Patent from Louis XIV officially establish the Royal Academy of Belles Lettres of Caen, which became dormant around 1714.
1731 Monseigneur de Luynes became Patron of the Academy.
1753 The Academy resumed its sessions at the Mansion of the Grand Cheval, under the direction of the Intendant Fontette.
1754 The first volume of the Transactions of the Academy was published.
1793 The Convention suppressed all the Academies.
1800 The prefect DUGUA resurrected the Academy under the name "Lyceum".
1802 The Academy took its definitive title of Academy of Sciences, Fine Arts and Belles Lettres of Caen. Its activity has remained uninterrupted ever since.
1811 The Transactions are reinstituted.
1853 The Academy was approved by the state as an institution" in the public interest" (imperial decree of the 10th of August).
1874 The Academy was given its current Statutes.
1955 The Academy held a solemn public session celebrating MALHERBE's fourth centenary.
1970 The Academy settled again in the Hôtel d'Escoville, former property of its founder, MOISANT de BRIEUX.